Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Everday Use" from Dee's Point of View

I moved out of the house my mom and sister lived in when I was old enough. I remember that when I was little we lived in a house that caught on fire and burnt. My sister got majorly burned when the house was almost down to ashes. I haven't visited home for a long time now. I know my sister Maggie might have been jelous at the fact I didn't get burned and she did. I knew I was beautiful and that my sister was all scarred up. I went to go visit my sister and my mother at thier house. I brought my boyfriend Hakim with me. He tried to introduce himself to Maggie but she got nervous and left to go inside. I was talking to my mother and I saw the churn top and asked her if I could have it. I went into Maggie's room and went to the trunk of the bed and started searching through it. I picked up two quilts that I had found in the trunk. Grandma Dee had made it and it was scraps of the dresses and clothing she used to wear. As a tradition she passed in down to the next generation. My mom told me to get two other quilts because they were Maggie's and they meant something to her. I wanted them because I knew I could take better care of them and my sister couldn't because she's slow. My sister got upset and left the room but had came back to tell me something. "I can 'member Grandma Dee without the quilts." Maggie said to me. My mom snatched the quilts out of my hands and put them in my sisters lap. My mom told me I could have two of the other quilts. I walked outside with Hakim and I told her you just don't understand. She asked what she didn't understand and I told her, her heritage. Then I turned to Maggie and gave her a kiss and told her you ought to make something of yourself,too, Maggie. It's a new day for us. But from the way you and mama still live, you'd never know it.

1 comment: